A-1’s Recommendations for Preventing Clogs
The most prudent way to prevent slow or clogged drains is to be mindful what you put in them. Here are a few simple tips to help prevent the headache and property damage that can arise from a clogged drain:
- When cooking with oils and grease, do not dispose of these liquids in the kitchen sink. Collect these items in an old coffee can or similar item, wait for the substance to cool and/or solidify and dispose of in the trashcan.
- Dispose of coffee grounds in the trash can or use them in your gardening.
- When there isn’t a garbage disposal, utilize a screen or grate over the kitchen drain to catch foods and solids that can become lodged in your drain.
- When using a garbage disposal to dispose of food, run cold water and a small amount of food at a time.
- Be careful to dispose of rice, pasta, etc. that can expand in the kitchen sink line likely resulting in a clog.
- Use foaming hand soap. Liquid and bar soap can leave behind residue which can increase the likelihood of a blockage.
- Always avoid flushing any type of feminine hygiene product, wipes (even “flushable” wipes), dental floss, hair, etc. down the stool.
- For minor hair clogs, use a product like “Zip-It” on a regular basis to prevent major blockages.
- Teach your kids not to flush toys down the toilet.
Contact A-1 Today
Following the tips above will help prevent blockages but when you do find yourself with a slow or clogged drain, give A-1 a call to get the job done!