A-1’s Recommendations for Preventing Clogs
Clogged drains are one of the most common plumbing service calls we run for our customers in the Kansas City area. Preventative drain cleaning in your bathroom sink, kitchen sink, bathtub drain can keep your entire plumbing system running smooth from the drain, to the sewer line, to your septic system. Homeowners have tried different drain cleaning techniques to keep drains from a buildup and clogging in the first place, such as baking soda, a cup of vinegar, different drain stoppers, or liquid drain cleaners designed to breakdown enzymes, paper products or buildup from the local hardware store.
The most prudent way to prevent slow or clogged drains is to be mindful of what you put in them such as paper products, egg shells, food particles, soap scum and more. Here are a few simple tips to help prevent the headache and property damage that can arise from a clogged bathroom drains and kitchen drain, as well as other drains in your home:
- When cooking with oils and grease, do not dispose of these liquids and pour grease in the kitchen sink. Collect these items in an old coffee can or similar item, wait for the substance to cool and/or solidify and dispose of in the trash can.
- Dispose of coffee grounds in the trash can or use them in your gardening.
- When there is no disposal, utilize a screen or grate stopper over the kitchen drain to catch foods and solid food particles that can become lodged in your drain.
- When using a garbage disposal to dispose of food, run cold water from the faucet and a small amount of food at a time so the food particles can properly be disposed of, especially egg shells or other solids.
- Be careful to dispose of rice, pasta, etc. that can expand in the kitchen sink line likely resulting in a clog.
- Use foaming hand soap. Liquid and bar soap can leave behind soap scum residue which can increase the likelihood of a blockage in the tub drain and sink drain.
- Always avoid flushing any type of feminine hygiene product, wipes (even “flushable” wipes), dental floss, paper products, paper towels, excessive amounts of toilet paper, hair, etc. down the toilet. All of these have the potential to cause plumbing issues and septic tank problems and blockages.
- For minor hair clogs, use a product like “Zip-It” on a regular basis to prevent major blockages in your shower drain or tub drain. These plumbing problems in these drain lines can cause major buildup and clogs.
- Teach your kids not to flush toys down the toilet, paper towels, towels, or other items that cause issues in your main line, sewer lines or septic system.
Contact A-1 Today
We have been serving the greater Kansas City metro area for decades and our goal is for all of our homeowner and business owner customers alike to know they have a professional plumbing company to count on, 24/7, for maintenance, repair, service, installation or emergency service. When you need a plumber give A-1 a call to get the job done!
Following the tips above will help prevent blockages but when you do find yourself with a slow or clogged drain,