Don’t Get Bamboozled by a Plumber
Most homeowners need a plumber at some point, and everyone has their recommendation on who to choose for their services. No matter who you decide to go with, one of the most important things is to make sure that your plumber does not try to swindle you out of your hard-earned money by creating a plumbing emergency when there is none to be found.
Be Aware of Common Tricks
One of the best things any homeowner can do is develop a relationship with a local plumber, such as those at A-1 Septic & Sewer Services, Inc. The next best thing they can do is know where the main water line in their home is and how to shut this line off. Shutting off the water can help save money for two reasons. First, it can prevent expensive overflows and leaks from occurring before you can bring your trusted plumber in to look, and second, it allows you the option to solve your minor plumbing problems without a plumber.
If you find yourself in need of a plumber, be aware of some common schemes that are used to bamboozle a customer into paying more than they need to:
- Starting with a low bid, to begin with, and then refusing to complete the job until more money is paid
- Refusing to use a contract, which then allows the price of the repairs to inflate for anything not paid up front
- Encouraging panic by revealing that immediate action needs to be taken using a costly repair
- Using low-quality items while charging for high-quality ones
- Planting evidence around the home that suggests a serious plumbing crisis when there is none present
The best way to avoid being taken advantage of by a plumber is to only work with trusted, highly recommended, and licensed plumbers in your area. When you hire a plumber, be sure to ask questions about what they are doing, ask for evidence for their claims, and never be afraid to get a second opinion to ensure you are not being swindled.
When in doubt, contact the local plumbing team at A-1 Sewer & Septic, Inc. We’re always here for you.