Holidays are the time for celebrating with loved ones, and many people use this as an opportunity to gather family members together. While this is a joyous occasion, having many people under one roof can cause an unexpected plumbing emergency. A-1 Sewer & Septic Service, Inc. know that no one wants to spend less time with their family to deal with a preventable mishap!
Tips to Get Through the Holidays With No Plumbing Mishaps
Having many people in the house will means that your plumbing will be working harder than usual. With more people using the kitchen, toilets, and showers, you should take steps to prevent disaster. By making sure that a few common plumbing mistakes do not occur, you may be saving your guests from inconvenience and an expensive plumbing bill!
Make sure the plumbing works smoothly through the holidays by following these tips:
- Do not pour grease or oil down the drain since these will harden when cool and clog pipes. Wait until the grease is cooled in the pan and dispose of the leftovers in the garbage.
- Be careful with what you throw down the garbage disposal. Corn husks, celery, and other stringy peels can wrap around the blades of the garbage disposal and make it harder to rotate.
- Avoid placing large amounts of food in the garbage disposal before turning it on to avoid clogs. Scraping plates into the garbage before placing them in the sink and keeping the water running as the garbage disposal is on can help the disposal do its work.
- Make sure that only waste and toilet paper is being flushed through the toilet. Cotton balls, facial tissue, feminine hygiene products, and wet wipes do not dissolve in water and may expand in the pipes.
- Clean hair out of the sink and shower before guests arrive, and use a drain screen to catch hairs. Since hair does not dissolve, it is easy to cause water backups in drains.
Following these tips can prevent an unexpected plumbing surprise while your home is filled with guests. However, it is possible for drain and sewer lines to become backed up over time, and with the increased use during the holidays, old problems can resurface.
Taking preventative measures is important, but in the event that a plumbing emergency occurs, know that A-1 Sewer & Septic Service, Inc. is here for your holiday plumbing needs!