The water heater in your Kansas City home may be one of the most important things you never pay attention to until it stops working. Then your mind is flooded with a million questions like: Can it be repaired or does it need to be replaced? Is a plumber needed and what type of water heater to choose?
There are many factors to consider before you buy a new water heater, including the size of your family and the type of fuel you use for your home. Heating water for your home is one of your home’s biggest monthly expenditures, so your utility (electricity, oil, or propane, etc.) rates may determine the type you buy.
Types of Water Heaters – Pros and Cons
- Conventional Storage Tanks
- Store constantly heated water in an insulated tank.
- Take up valuable space in garage or basement.
- Can hold a large volume of water.
- Natural gas or propane heaters use less energy and cost less than electric.
- Tankless Water Heaters
- Use heating coils to heat water as needed.
- Hang on a wall, freeing up space.
- Can run out of hot water if overused.
- Are more energy-efficient than a conventional tank.
- Are best for homes that heat with natural gas.