December has come and gone, and January is nearing a close. February will be accompanied with more frigid temperatures before March comes and the ground begins to thaw out to make way for spring. In the middle of winter, what more does any family want than to be nice, cozy, and warm in their homes? For the times that the weather seems too unbearable to handle, it may seem necessary to turn up the heat in your home or take longer and hotter showers to chase the chill. However, this could quickly lead to winter being more expensive in water usage than summer!
How Can I Save Water in My Home This Winter?
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the average water use of a standard American family can exceed 400 gallons every day. While homeowners in the Kansas City area may be saving costs on lawn care, pools, and other summertime water needs, winter can still eat up all those expected water conservation savings.
Follow these tips for conserving water in the wintertime:
- Purchase a tankless hot water heater or instant hot water recirculating system
- Install low-flow showerheads to reduce the gallons of water used
- Scrape food from plates instead of rinsing in the sink to use less water getting grime off
- Soak dirty dishes in a basin of soapy water before rinsing and scrubbing
- Upgrade to a low-flow toilet to save gallons every time you flush
- Check toilets and other appliances that use water for any potential leaks
- Maintain and upkeep the furnace to prevent pipes from freezing and bursting
Water conservation is important at any time of year, so while you’re not watering the lawn in the winter, take the opportunity to save yourself some money! It may seem like you are using less water, but waiting for the shower to warm up or hosting holiday parties can significantly increase your water usage without you realizing it.
As always, the plumbing team at A-1 Sewer & Septic Services, Inc. is thinking of your home and your pipes. Reducing the amount of water that is being used can help maintain your home plumbing system and reduce the need for repairs. If you run into any problems or are seeking to install water-saving devices, contact one of our experienced technicians and get deserved care!