Ways to Save Money on Your Water Heating Bill
Hot water is important year-round as it allows you to take comfortable showers, it allows you to properly clean and sanitize your dishes, and wash dirty laundry. While hot water is considered a necessity 12 months out of the year, it’s even more important during the winter and spring seasons.
Whether you have a family of five, or live alone, doing what you can to save energy and reduce your monthly energy bill will have a positive impact on the environment and your budget. In fact, the U.S. Department of Energy reports that water heating is the second largest energy expense in Americans’ homes, accounting for about 18% of a home’s utility bill. Wouldn’t it be nice to reduce your annual water heating costs?
Tips for reducing your water heating bill:
- Install low-flow faucets and showerheads throughout your home.
- Insulate the electric hot-water storage tank, but do not cover the thermostat. We suggest that you follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- If you have a leaky faucet repair it right away as thousands of gallons of water are wasted on leaky faucets each year.
- When buying a new washer or dishwasher, consider buying a water-saving ENERGY STAR® model.
- Every three months, drain one quart of water from the water tank to remove any sediment that reduces heat transfer and lowers the efficiency of your unit.
- When you are in the market for a new water heater, look for one with an ENERGY STAR® label.
- For long-term savings, consider a tankless water heater, or a natural gas on-demand unit.
The average water heater lasts between 10 and 15 years. If your model is older than 7 years, you may want to consider replacing it with a newer, energy-efficient model. If your water heater isn’t heating water as well as it did before, or if you have encountered another issue, our Kansas plumbers can take a look at your water heater and determine if it can be repaired easily, or if it has outlived its lifespan and needs replacement.
Contact A-1 Sewer & Septic Service Inc. for all of your water heater needs!