What Should I Do When My Toilet is Running?
Most Americans can identify with this annoying problem: you are all ready for bed, you use the restroom and then your toilet starts running. You can’t go to bed knowing that water is being wasted and that you will wake up to this problem in the morning. Many Americans, however, don’t know how to fix this familiar household problem! If this situation rings a bell with you, you should follow these steps to fix your running toilet:
- Close the flapper if the tank is not full and is not filling.
- Make sure the water in the tank is at the water line, if not you will have to check your water valve to see if it is on all the way.
- Pull up on the float then adjust the float so the tank stops filling when the water is about an inch below the top of the overflow tube
- Clean/replace the flapper and flush valve
- When necessary, adjust the valve height or tube height up or adjust the water level down
- Check for leaks using a dye tablet (which you can buy at a hardware supply store). After you flush and as the water fills the tank, drop in the tablet. When a tank is leaking, you’ll see the water in the bowl turn the color of the tablet.
- You can also fix the ball-cock assembly by emptying the tank and replacing by using a ball-cock assembly kit
If all of these steps and parts sound too difficult to you, you can always call your friendly, neighborhood Kansas plumber at A-1 Sewer & Septic Service to ensure you properly fix your toilet and don’t have to deal with this annoying problem anytime soon! Our company has been servicing residences since 1968 and no job is too big or too small for our team of professionals to handle!